Sunday, August 20, 2006

Tasty Durian!




This morning I woke up early again and once again I met up with Oh R., but this time we went to the feast in Bangkok. This was the first feast I've attended in Bangkok and it was really fun. There was an excellent turn out, I recognized many faces and had the opportunity to meet a bunch of new people. Since the feast started at 10am we all had lunch together. My friend Aaron's parent's are here visiting him (they're from the U.S. but they were just in Haifa serving I believe) and they made the lunch which was spaghetti. It was nice to have spaghetti made by a westerner because I've had a poor spaghetti re-creations that weren't entirely accurate (and that is being generous).

After the feast I went into Muang Thong and did a bit of shopping but I was really tired and had a head ache and so the trip wasn't a very good idea or really very productive. I did get a pretty pair of earrings and some nice cloth though.

After shopping I went home and passed out for a bit (unintentionally), and when I woke up it was nearly 7pm and I rushed off to the night market in Kor Tor Mor. I got myself a tasty feast for dinner. I got freshly cooked corn, chicken, spring rolls, my favorite tea drink and some durian. Durian is an extremely stinky fruit which I used to hate (I'd tried it once in Canada), but I've gotten used to the taste over the past months because my sawng-thaew passes a durian stand on the way to school and I can always smell it as we pass. I decided that since the smell didn't bother me any more and was in fact becoming a comforting smell that I enjoyed I decided to give it another chance. I love it! It's a taste that just needs to grow on you I think.

Thailand is a place of smells. I've found that many of the smells have started to become so familiar and comforting. Not all smells are enjoyable. I could do without the smell of raw meat in a hot and humid market (especially pork and fish) and the pollution in Bangkok is still and will forever be gross, but the smell of fish sauce is lovely in it's own special way (though it is fermented fish juice), the smell of durian I think is nice, and the smell of jasmine and marigold (especially jasmine) will forever remind me fondly of Thailand.

I have a wicked headache right now so if things are poorly worded it's due to my headache induced lack of focus.


Today's picture is of me lovin' up my durian that I bought at the market. It looks like someone else took this myself, I'm always improving at the arms-length photography. I was a bit bored so I decided to play with my photo doctoring software as I'm sure is evident.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View my Profile

  • Don't Wear Jeans at Chatuchak
  • Pendulums, Order, and Chaos
  • Learning about Leadership
  • Rip Van Winkle
  • Boo Camera
  • Sashimi Madness!
  • Teddy Bear Sweater
  • Happy Birthday Adina!!
  • Hospital Celebrity
  • Sleep and Leadership
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • Bangkok Weather
  • Currency Converter
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Adventures of Clover
  • Paul Heidema
  • M&M and Sophie
  • Tabitha
  • My Photo Page

    Get Firefox