
I woke up this morning and went about getting myself ready for work. Usual stuff. I still don't feel fantastic, but it's better than on the weekend. I went down stairs to walk to the bus stop and as usually passed the motorcycle taxi guys who said "sawatdee-krap" to me and so I went to reply with my "sawatdee-ca" and when I opened my mouth... just a little squeak came out. If you haven't get I've lost my voice... stupid illness.
Quick story about the motorcycle taxi guys. In Thailand, there are many ways to get around and one is by hiring a motorcycle taxi. The motorcycle taxis hang out in little groups every few blocks and operate as cooperatives. There is one group spread out along my soi and they have one smaller group right in front of my building and another bigger one in front of the 7-11 just as you turn off my soi on to the main road (Chaengwattana). The motorcycle taxi drivers are mostly male and the ones on my soi have taken to playing a game with me. I think the object of the game is to see who will get me on their bike first. One guy has even learned to yell "I love you" in english while taping his hand on his heart. Some, including the heart-tapper, have started to offer me 'free' rides on their bikes. I will never ride on their bikes. I think that they're just joking around in good fun,but free is rarely ever really free and I don't want to give any of them a reason to expect something. If I really need to take a motorcycle taxi I'll take one driven by a woman. Their behavior is really quite funny. I walk by and say "mai chai" (which means no) a couple of times to their offers and they laugh and say something in Thai or "I love you" and I just continue to walk by. On the milder mornings they just give me big smiles and say "Sawatdee-krap", but today was an "I love you" day. Oh well. Some guy sitting in the flat bed of a truck blew me a kiss today as he drove by, I guess with all my sickness and voicelessness I must have looked ok. Weird.
Anyway back to my day. When I got to school and for the rest of the day I had little to no voice. Teaching my class was difficult due to the fact that I couldn't really speak and my students (who don't all speak great english couldn't understand my raspy voice. I ended up having them work in pairs, which I think worked out ok. At least all my students were quiet and well enough behaved (except for the fact that they made fun of me and my voicelessness). I hope tomorrow goes as well, my voice hurts a bit and I have three classes to teach.
In the afternoon I rested for a bit and then went to get some new and exciting stationary. Lynne was with me and had her own shopping agenda as well so we looked for her stuff, went by Suan Lum and picked up my fisherman's pants and the silk she wanted to buy and then came home. We got home later than I wanted to but I guess it couldn't be prevented. Now I'll just get ready my stuff for tomorrow and then go to bed early.
Did you all enjoy the math puzzle yesterday? I'm still pleased that I did it. Don't tell me it took you no time at all, humour me (as my Mom always said) and tell me it took you all day long...
Lastly, thank you to Evan who sent me some cds in the mail! Three arrived today I was so excited to get them. Unfortunately, I haven't yet managed to listen to them because I have a roommate for tonight and I don't want to be disruptive. My current roommate is just passing through Nonthaburi on her way to Yasothon, she takes the bus tomorrow night. But three cd's from Evan! I'm really excited! Yay. If you don't know who Evan is check out Clover's blog (Clover is his daughter).
Today's picture is once again from Wat Phra Kaeo... sorry I'm running out of new photos and since I'm sick I'm not even making the effort to get out and get new ones. Anyway, Wat Phra Kaeo: This is the side of the Wat that holds the emerald Buddha. Look at the picture in big to see the detail, it looses something shrunk down.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home