Tuesday, September 19, 2006
It's a Coup
I woke up this morning to an official declaration of the beginning of the coup. This meant that schools, banks and government buildings were all closed. I had a lunch meeting with Jaya and Erfan to give my feedback and discuss any suggestions that I may have for future years. After our meeting I went on a shopping trip to look for things Mattea had requested. I wasn't sure how safe it would be on the first day of the coup and so I took a taxi to Central Lat Phrao shopping mall. My taxi driver was very excited about the coup and very happy that the army was out in full force and so every time we passed any soldiers or tanks he would unroll the window, give the thumbs up and yell "Gang mac mac" which essentially means "Excellent" or "very very excellent". The shopping mall was very busy but my trip was most unsuccessful except for one pair of pants for Etana and some coffee for my parents. I took a taxi home as well and though this taxi driver also supported the coup he was less pleased at the presence of the military and every time we passed a tank would click his tongue disapprovingly. I got home just in time to be ten minutes late for Ruhi and so I grabbed my book and rushed to the Baha'i center. We finished the last unit of section two and then I went home for a quiet evening.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home