Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Master Traffic Dancer




Morning came too early today and I really had to drag myself out of bed (or I would have stayed there dreaming away for the rest of the day). It was a struggle!

I only taught three classes today but they were spread out in such a way that I was at school all day long. The first class was in the first period of the day starting at 8am, the next was around lunch time and the last was the last period of the day starting at 3pm. I did have a lot of free time between classes where did prep for my other classes and wrote letters and postcards. I have reached one hundred pieces of postal mail written since I left. Yay!

My classes were ok though the last class of the day decided to test my patience. I really like the kids but they were just being so difficult. Another teacher had offered to help me if they were too out of hand because they had given some teachers really hard times today. I didn't want to call him over (I don't even remember this teacher's name) but since they were out of hand for me as well I had to call him to help me. Oye. Maybe the activities I have next class will help to channel their considerable energy. I also think I'm going to scout for a room with more space to move around so that we can do activities without having to push aside all of the desks.

One of my students asked me to fill out a questionnaire that she got in her english class (I think). It's kind of a getting to know you questionnaire but it's less cheesy and more personal. So I'm working on that before bed tonight so that I can return it to her tomorrow.

Oh, yesterday I forgot to write about my traffic crossing skills. When I first came here I would see people cross traffic in what I thought was a crazy and hazardous way, in the past ten weeks I have learned that you have to be bold yet cautious while crossing the road and without realizing it (until yesterday) I had picked up this road-crossing skill. Yesterday, when I was out with Ridvan and Shar I would just cross the road like I normally would and realized that I was constantly leaving them behind me on the curb. I think it's because I now know how to dance through traffic and where to stand when the cars come. You kind of cross the road in sections really. Don't worry everyone I am very careful and do not dart into traffic or anything it's just that I cross the road like a Thai now. It's kind of strange when to pick up these skills, it's not something I interpreted as cultural before but really this culture knows how to j-walk. I'll have to unlearn my superior j-walking skills when I return to Edmonton lest I get a j-walking ticket on Whyte ave!

Good night everyone.

Spud took this picture of Tabitha eating pancake at Ko Phi Phi Don right outside of our favorite pancake place. We ate a lot of delicious banana filled, Nutella topped pancakes... mmmmm. I wanted to post a picture of her and then found this one that Spud took, I think it's a cute picture.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View my Profile

  • Day Out with Ridvan and Shar
  • Happy Declaration of the Bab!
  • Thanks For The Great Chat Tabitha
  • Have Fun In Australia Spud!
  • No Real Entry Today Sorry
  • Tired From Another Long Day
  • Extra Respect To All The Teachers Out There
  • Working Out My New Schedule
  • Happy Mother's Day Mom!
  • Chinatown
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • Bangkok Weather
  • Currency Converter
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Adventures of Clover
  • Paul Heidema
  • M&M and Sophie
  • Tabitha
  • My Photo Page

    Get Firefox