Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Extra Respect To All The Teachers Out There




Today was my first day at school with students and boy was it crazy. Chaengwattana (the main road that I live off of) was so busy I thought I'd be late for work and when I got there I had to run to the assembly to pick up my students and bring them to class. The day went well but it was very long. I think I did ok in all of my classes though it is stressful because I'm not a trained teacher and feel a little out of my element. I got my grade threes to write a journal entry about themselves so that I could see how developed their mastery of english was. I took all of the journal entries home today so that I can read them and see what the average language level of the class is. I also had my first ethics class with my grade 9a class and it was ok though the air conditioner in the room was broken and it was 31 degrees with no air movement and we were all sweating buckets. Eventually due to the heat I lost their attention and we all went to sit in the hall way where it was noticeably cooler.

I worked a bunch of extra hours doing prep etc. and tonight I still have some lesson planning to do before bed. I have a new respect for teachers.

I did enjoy teaching today, all of my kids were great and I think that when I get used to things I will be able to be pretty effective, I just feel a little ill prepared. I suppose this is one way to decide whether I like teaching before I spend time and money getting my degree.

I got my massage after work which was nice and then after that I went to the feast and then we had an Assembly meeting.

I would write more detail but I'm really tired and still have that prep to get done, maybe tomorrow.

Today's picture was taken by Brian O Connor (Spud) of the poi we saw when we were chillin' on the beach at Ko Phi Phi Don.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View my Profile

  • Working Out My New Schedule
  • Happy Mother's Day Mom!
  • Chinatown
  • A Writing Fiend... and Goodbye For Now Spud and Ta...
  • It's Thursday
  • Home Again Home Again Jiggity Jig
  • My Poor Oompah Loompah Face
  • Cliff Jumping, Snorkelling, And The Cave of Death
  • Swimming Fully Clothed
  • Arrival at Ko Phi Phi Don
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • Bangkok Weather
  • Currency Converter
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Adventures of Clover
  • Paul Heidema
  • M&M and Sophie
  • Tabitha
  • My Photo Page

    Get Firefox