Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Returning to Thailand




Since I had had trouble sleeping the night before and was up late hurting my toes in the dark I slept through my alarm and woke to the sound of Taes knocking at my door because the cab was there to take us to the border. Whoops.

Taes and I were returning to Thailand on the same day as were the two Korean girls (who I never caught the name of) that we went to the lake with the day before. We all shared a cab which made it much cheaper however all of them wanted to sit in the back and I had no choice but to sit in the passenger seat... which you may remember is the death seat since the driver is on the right and they drive on the right. Yipes. I did up my seat belt as soon as I got in and the driver laughed at me (as did every other Cambodian who noticed me wearing it). They can laugh I wasn't going anywhere without my seat belt.

The drive was long and dusty as expected and the girls all fell asleep in the back. I couldn't sleep especially when the driver pulled out to pass someone and cars were coming towards us flashing their lights and he would whip back into our lane nearly grazing my side of the car on oncoming traffic. I mean I think this guy was a skilled driver, more skilled than my first driver but I don't dig that seat at all.

We arrived in Poipet and went through all of the border checked this time ending with us standing on Thailand soil holding our passports containing a one month stamp. I have to be gone again as of July 19th.

We immediately caught a tuk-tuk to the bus to Bangkok and hoped on the bus and left. When you cross the border from Cambodia to Thailand the wealth of Thailand is so aparent it really puts things in perspective going from Canada to Thailand and then to Cambodia and then back to Thailand. I certainly have a more concrete understanding of what poverty really is. We pulled into Bangkok around three in the afternoon. I said goodbye to Taes and the other girls, caught a taxi home, and I had a shower and rested. By this time the million mosquito bites that I aquired on my legs were really apparent and gross looking. I don't remember what I did with my time but I really just wasted away the rest of the day with out telling anyone besides my family that I had returned safe. I was pretty tired and my stomach still hadn't returned to normal (nor would it for a few days).

Me, May and Taes at the Korean restaurant on the second day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View my Profile

  • Stupid Tummy: Quit Trying to Ruin My Day
  • Banteay Day
  • So Much to See
  • Hello Cambodia
  • Cambodia Here I Come!
  • Bummed
  • Another Slow Day
  • Air Conditioning is Chilly
  • Welcome To Thailand Erfan
  • Happy 60 years on the Throne King Bhumibol!
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • Bangkok Weather
  • Currency Converter
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Adventures of Clover
  • Paul Heidema
  • M&M and Sophie
  • Tabitha
  • My Photo Page

    Get Firefox