
May had wanted to try to see the sunrise over Angkor Wat this morning and I was going to join her but I was so tired and congested that I hit snooze on my alarm and passed out again. When I woke later I found out that she hadn't gone because it had been raining and so I didn't feel so bad about ditching.
We went out for coffee before setting out on our day's adventure at 7:30am. The first stop on our list was Banteay Srei which is a lovely little temple. Most of the temple is blocked off so you can't walk between the individual structures but what you can see is very interesting. The carvings are quite beautiful and I saw a big gecko type thing and a huge trail of ants, both of which made me happy (yes I took pictures which will be posted later). I especially liked the carvings at this temple though my pictures didn't all turn out as well as I would like (some did which again will be posted later). We took our time because we decided that we wouldn't bust it seeing so many things this day because the previous day had been so exhausting. There was a nice moat at this temple too and it had some lovely flowers.
Once we'd explored Banteay Srei we went to Banteay Samre. Banteay Samre is like a smaller version of Angkor Wat and is in very good condition. We climbed up and down it's steps (though it wasn't nearly as high as Angkor Wat) and walked on the ledge around the outer perimiter of the temple. This was the least busy temple that we'd been to so far and we were able to really just have it all to ourselves. We did run into some people when we went out the back of the temple to the stone walkway but even then we didn't see very many others.
Banteay Kdei was our next and the final Banteay temple we would see. This temple is in a noticeable state of ruin and is held together by support beams and ropes. There were many areas that you couldn't enter and also a beautiful over-grown tree which was taking over the back wall of the temple.
Unfortunately, we didn't stop at Sra Srang which is also called the pool of Ablutions. We were told there wasn't much to actually see and I think that the previous day had really spent some energy and so this day turned into a very slow paced day.
As May and Taes are both Korean they took me out for a Korean feast for lunch. I tried pretty much everything even the whole green chilies dipped in red chili sauce (I ate about five of them). I ate more types of kim-chi than I have ever seen in my life and the food was all very good (and spicy). We took our time over lunch and so it was already into the afternoon when we were done.
When lunch was over we went to the guest house to re-adjust our bags and then it was off to Angkor Wat. May hadn't yet seen Angkor Wat and since Taes and I had been there so early the previous day we decided it would be nice to see it again when we were fully awake. I am glad that I had seen it early in the morning because it was so busy in the afternoon! We walked around the outer galleries and then went to the centre where May and Taes decided to climb the steep stairs. I had done it the day before and decided that I didn't want to do it for a second time. I sat on a ledge of a wall giving me a good view of the stairs and just took in the atmosphere. That didn't last long because five monks (about my age) approached me and we started to talk. They were all very chatting and spoke so many languages (they tested my Spanish skills but those don't stretch very far). After we'd been talking for a while one told me that he wouldn't be a monk in a year and asked me if he could have my number and email! Now that is some pick-up line! In Cambodia I was hit on more than I had ever been hit on in my entire life, I couldn't believe it and by young and old, weird.
Our original plan was to go to another temple to see the sunset but the clouds moved in while Taes and May were atop the peak of Angkor Wat and shortly after they descended it started to pour. This wasn't just some rain storm it was the mother of all rainstorms a true rainy season drenching. Most (nearly all) of the foreigners ran into the temple for refuge, however, rain is my happy weather and so I gave my bag to May (since she was hiding from the rain) and splashed in the puddles and ran in the rain around Angkor Wat. Since all of the foreigners were in hiding many of the kids who peddled their wares at the temple entrance had nothing do do so they ran around and jumped in the puddles and dove off the walk way into the moat. The little boys took off their shirts and started to whip each other with their wet shirts, I ran around with them and splashed them and they splashed me. I had such a fantastic time and I got so wet. There were two older boys that were trying to get me to kiss them and when I did have to buy a rain coat to sit on so I wouldn't get the seat wet in the taxi one boy was trying to sell it to me for a dollar and a kiss, oye. I did finally talk him out of the kiss and was able to get the rain coat for just a dollar. They were at least funny.
We went home and I changed into dry clothing. By that time it was late because the rain storm had lasted a long time. We ate dinner in the guest house restaurant and then went to the convenience store for snacks. Taes went to set up a cab to take us back to Poipet on Tuesday morning as she had found two other girls to take it with us to reduce the cost. May and I sat in the upstairs lobby and had a good chat about our lives and religion. I really had a great time with May she's my lovely Korean older sister. When Taes got back we visited for a bit longer and then it was time for bed.
Today's picture is from Banteay Srei.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home