Friday, April 14, 2006

Day One of Training


Post for April 13:

Today was the first day of the Junior Youth Animator training. It was very good but the day was quite long. I did participate a lot in discussion and read well aloud which isn't always usual for me because I often get nervous and trip over the words I'm reading. The purpose of the animator training is to get people trained to can run junior youth study groups to help these pre-youth aged kids (12-15) to develop their spiritual and moral character and also undertake a spirit of service in their community. I'm actually really excited about the process because when I was 12-15 I was a pretty enthusiastic and was very interested in my own spirituality and that was when I decided for myself that I really wanted to be a Baha'i. I think that that is why I'm really keen on giving my input in this workshop.

In the evening Jenny and I went out to dinner with a few Baha'is from this workshop and then Jenny and I went out to a movie. The theater experience here is pretty interesting. Here you pick your seat at the theatre so there is no rush seating (which I have to say is pretty nice). Then there area a million trailers and I have to say I think horror trailers are scarier when dubbed over in Thai even if the horror film looks crappy and like it wouldn't be scary in english. Then they play the National anthem and display a montage of pictures of the King (on a background of Thailand's landscape). The anthem is actually quite pretty I think. You have to stand for the anthem, they love their King here and you'd be in some trouble if you didn't stand. And then there was this goofy music and this little girl in pink danced around the screen and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen I could have watched it over and over. Maybe I'll be able to find a link for it sometime and post it, it was awesome! Now its late and I'm tired and I have another full day of training tomorrow (which will be longer than today). Time for bed.

Today's picture is of some pretty trees in the Jungle of Khao Yai.


1 Comments:

Blogger Paul J. Heidema said...

Well done on doing your part for the pre-youth. They need all the guidance and support that they can get. I love that you are so honest and caring with the youth. I am sure that they respond to you well.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View my Profile

  • Party like its 2549BE
  • Cute Kids of YWCA
  • More Misadventures
  • A Morning with Monks
  • Tentacle on a Stick
  • Trip to Villa
  • Purple Dragon Carrot
  • Nutritional Horsepower
  • Feeling Pretty Tired
  • Jungle Book Nai
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • Bangkok Weather
  • Currency Converter
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Adventures of Clover
  • Paul Heidema
  • M&M and Sophie
  • Tabitha
  • My Photo Page

    Get Firefox