Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Learning about Currency

I went to visit the school that I will be working at today. It was nice but not all air conditioned and I was so hot! In May I will be teaching a junior youth (11-15year old) program there but they want me to start this Monday working with the summer camp for kids entering kindergarten this school year (in May). Since this school is an English school they run a camp for kids entering into kindergarten to give them some English foundation before they have to sit all day in a class with a teacher who is talking to them in a language that they are unfamiliar with. I think I'll just be playing games and singing songs with the kids to help them learn some English in a fun way. I'll be doing this program for four weeks in total but there is a break in the middle for a week because of Songkran. I'm looking forward to Songkran because even though it won't be raining at least there will be water flying about. I was told yesterday that it hasn't rained here since October and won't until July! I'm amazed that things stay so green with so little moisture.So I added a currency converter to my links today (check it out), I am just beginning to understand what the conversion is and how much things are in worth Thailand. I am really amazed how affordable everything is. I always wondered why Thais would move to the cold climate in Canada but I can understand how they would want to come to Canada to work because they'd be able to send a significant amount of money home to their families. To put things into perspective about money, I ate a full meal today with meat, veggies and rice for 45baht and bought a chocolate milk (not as good as at home) at the 711 for 9baht.
Right now I have a roommate, Jenny, who is travelling here from the US. She's been backpacking in New Zealand and she was also in Australia and now I believe she will be here for a month. We're getting along very well and I think we're going to explore for a little bit tomorrow.I'm learning a few Thai words but I need more repetition because people keep telling me things and I keep forgetting.
I'm very tired right now so I think I will turn in and write more in tomorrow's post.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View my Profile

  • Palm Trees and Water Slides
  • Sleepy Day
  • F.O.G. in Thailand
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • Bangkok Weather
  • Currency Converter
  • Mom and Dad
  • The Adventures of Clover
  • Paul Heidema
  • M&M and Sophie
  • Tabitha
  • My Photo Page

    Get Firefox